Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Unsung Heroes - My Parents

There's a campaign running at the moment called 16 Days of Activism Against Violence to Women & Children.

This campaign really made me take a look at my relationship with my parents. Everyone I know complains about 'how their parents screwed them up' in some form or another. We all seem to be channeling Freud. (And is that really something we want? Come on, the man was a bit of a perv...)

So tell me honestly, was it ever really THAT bad?!

Some people complain about their parents being overprotective; but as far as I know that's a sign of love.
Others rant and rave about their parents never being there when it really counted. Ok, some may not have been - but I think sometimes it's just easier to find a scape-goat, and then continue to bask in the victim role.

My parents were never perfect; but although I shouted, made them cry, and deposited my teenage angst on their burdened shoulders, they never once made me feel sub par.

There were no fists. No bruises. No late-night fears of my bedroom door opening.

So take some time to think about your childhood. Then realise how incredibly lucky you really were!

Say Thanks Anyway for your parents. Then maybe go and give them a hug - that's where I'm off to today!

No comments:

Post a Comment