Monday, November 29, 2010

The Politics of People

Today I decided to Say Thanks Anyway for family.

You know the people who irritate you more than anyone else ever could? They come with their very own manual of dysfunction. They seem to thrive on drama, and have create a certain sordid social politics to which you must adhere (if not, the repercussions are unfathomable)...

Well, those are the people you will realise, despite all their flaws, will always be there when you need them the most.

After spending the weekend with my sister, I have a renewed strength for the week ahead.

The sense of loneliness that was getting me down has diminished. Simply by talking to her about it, and her just listening - and most importantly, letting me know she's always there...so loneliness is really just a state of mind.

It wasn't simply the talking and listening. It was the shared history between us - when I spoke, she understood where I was coming from. She understands who, in essence, I really am. There are no pretenses and masks in our relationship.

I have never found that with anyone outside of my family. In the real world, there are always pedestals and hierarchies. People box you into certain categories, and it's very hard to escape.

Yes, these are all cliches - but sometimes things are cliches because they're just so true!

So cut your family some slack. There's no such thing as the perfect family - but when you fall on your butt and make a complete arse of yourself, they're the ones who will help you wipe the dust from the back of your pants and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment