Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Waiting for Glory

There's that cliche saying that goes: 'all things come to those who wait'.

Well, I've always been aware of it, but been mystified by its presence alongside wisdoms such as 'the early bird gets the worm' etc.

What were these wise idiom-makers really trying to tell us? Are we meant to wait, or are we meant to jump out there in our proverbial pyjamas and seize whatever we can?!

And then this weekend I paid my parents a visit. While meandering through their garden on Saturday evening, I found a bush of my favourite flower (I like to think my mom planted it especially for me, but that's probably not the case) - Evening Glory.

I don't know if you've ever seen an Evening Glory flower. It's the white evening equivalent of the Morning Glory; but it's white and has the most fantastic fragrance you could ever imagine.

And it just got me thinking: a lot of people are enamoured by Morning Glory. It's beautiful, grows abundantly (a bit weed-like to be honest), and brightens up the early hours of the day. But how many people have even heard of it's beautiful sister?!

So that's how I shall choose to interpret the idiom 'all things come to those who wait' from now on.

The early-bird may grab everyone's attention - but nothing can beat the beauty and fragrance of what the twilight brings.

So I sit back and wait for my evening glory to arrive; and will curb my jealousy of those morning bloomers.

Thanks Anyway for the chance to eventually blossom...however late it may arrive!

1 comment: